When it's only ok and queen palms

This morning was chilly again- probably about 42. Clear blue sunny skies, and gusty. The folks I saw today were bundled in scarves, hats, mittens and ski jackets. I felt a bit silly running around in my brown hoodie and jeans, enjoying the warm weather...

Today's entry is brief, since we spent almost the entire day trying to:
  • get an Alabama driver's- so we can get rid of our NY Plates
  • finding the Guarantee Title company
  • finding MDF- aka Most Difficult to Find- the fiberboard I use for my paintings
  • looking for what we're told is an "Amish" mill work- there are Amish people in Alabama?
  • looking at sailboats
  • looking at palm trees- why are the same palm trees only $300 at some places while others are 2,000? Is it the NY plates? 
  • looking at sail boats
  • buying 10 lbs of  Sawii white fish and another 10lbs of shrimp
  • talking to locals about the highway that has two speed zones depending on what direction you travel ( all we learned is that Bayou la Batre is a one horse town, with a speed trap and a post office that has odd hours- no kidding)
  • driving and watching the glorious sunset on the Gulf, where the purple and blue casts on the ocean water look like patinated metals!
and I am exhausted.

What stood out today as we languished in traffic in the suburbs of Mobile, is the lack of signal usage by Alabama motorists, long waits at red lights, service roads that don't have stop signs, and these strange "only ok signs" .

Surely they are not hard to understand, but I find these signs annoying. I guess its the use of language in combination with the visuals- "only" seems to be the one way, while "ok" should somehow, by virtue of the word mean you can go in the same direction or go straight or right.


So shouldn't the sign look like this?

I think I think too much...




Comments

Popular Posts